What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a set of guiding principles that are applied to the practice of a variety of different modalities (methods of treating). These guiding principles are described as the Therapeutic Order. Whenever possible these are completed with a patient in order only as far as is necessary to achieve a state of improved health. However, there may be urgent situations in which one or more of these numbers may be bypassed to provide the safest and best possible outcome.
- Establish the Foundation for Optimal Health - this often means the removal of barriers to maintaining a healthy balance, but this can also mean the addition of healthy habits or nutrients.
- Stimulate Self Healing - this often involves stimulating the connection between the mental consciousness and the physical body. This can sometimes be uncomfortable, but often necessary for overcoming stuck patterns.
- Support and Restore Weakened Systems - this involves identifying what body systems are currently stressed, and providing support to these systems to aid in their recovery
- Address Physical Alignment - this involves ensuring that the physical body is not restricted from healing due to physical blockage.
- Natural Symptom Relief - this involves the use of naturally occurring substances to manage symptoms. Whole plant extracts would be an example of this.
- Synthetic Symptom Relief - this involves the use of synthetically created substances to manage symptoms. Standardized plant extracts and pharmaceuticals would be examples of these.
- High Force Interventions - this involves approaches that carry more risk for adverse effects. These interventions are employed if all else has failed or if it is known to be the only effective option to-date.
Almost any treatment method can be used at any stage of the Therapeutic Order. When an intervention is used depends upon the individual person, their health and the treatment method in question. Core methods of treatment include diet and lifestyle modification, supplementation, herbal prescription, hydrotherapy, homeopathic prescription, acupuncture, spinal manipulation, and soft tissue manipulation. In addition Dr. Scott holds prescribing authority and may prescribe pharmaceuticals if it deemed necessary.
Naturopathic Medicine may help with a variety of conditions including but not limited to:
Digestive disturbances: Constipation, Diarrhea, IBS, SIBO, Chron’s, Ulcerative Colitis.
Mental/Emotional: Tiredness, Stress, Insomnia, Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Depression, PTSD
Pain: Upper back and neck pain, MJ,Headaches/Migraines, Shoulder, Elbow or Wrist Pain, Low Back Pain, SI joint dysfunction, Leg, knee and ankle pain.
Skin: Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis
Endocrine dysfunction: Hypothyroid, Diabetes, PCOS, Syndrome X, Migraines, Menopausal hot flashes and night sweats.
Fertility: Female and male infertility and subfertility.
Other: Pediatrics, Asthma, Osteoporosis